Warm weather hearing aid care
Most modern hearing aids are water resistant, so you dont need to worry about being caught in the rain or an occasional splash while gardening.
Posted Monday December 7, 2020
But warmer days means more perspiration, which can lead to moisture building up inside your hearing aids. Moisture build up damages hearing aids and is a major reason they are returned for repairs. Hearing aids need extra care to keep them dry on hot days. We recommend you pop them into your dry aid kit every night. At bedtime, open the battery drawer so the aids are switched off and place them in the container.
If you are prone to excess moisture, a hearing aid dehumidifier or dryer could be a good investment. Electronic dehumidifiers are relatively inexpensive and can add years of life and better performance to your hearing aids. They are as simple to use as your dry aid kit.
Preventing long-term moisture damage
- Remove your aids before showering, swimming, or water sports such as water-skiing, boating, or surfing.
- Do not leave your aids in direct sunlight or extreme humid heat (on the dashboard, in the glovebox, or on a bathroom window ledge).
- Store your aids (and batteries) in a dry place in their protective case.
- Take care when using hairspray, hair products, sunscreens and insect repellent. Make sure products are dry before putting your aids in.
- Wipe your hands before touching your aids to avoid getting dirt into sensitive microphones.
- If your aids do get wet:
- Do not use a hairdryer to dry them.
- Remove the battery and leave the drawer open for a few hours.
- If you have a dry kit or dehumidifier, put your aids into it as soon as possible.
If your aids have had ample time to dry, but they cut out when noises are loud, turn off and on, sound distorted or fade, or you hear a lot of static, try replacing the batteries, but if that doesn’t solve the problem, send them in for repair.
If you need help with hearing aid care or accessories, or would like to talk about a dry kit or dehumidifier, we are here to help. Call us on 0800 547 836.
You can also go shopping online for drying accessories.
Heres to a super new year
Welcome back! We trust everyone had a restful, enjoyable break. We were pleased to welcome a new year, and are looking f...
Oh, the frustration of noisy environments: hidden hearing loss
Do you have normal hearing, but when you are at a gathering or dining in a noisy restaurant, do you struggle to hear the...